Thursday, July 21, 2011

Honey Mustard Coleslaw

For a side to the lobstercake sandwiches, I decided to make a Honey Mustard Coleslaw.   Everyone knows that coleslaw is basically a cabbage salad.  What you may not know, and I certainly did not know, is that the cabbage salad originated with the Romans, who prepared shredded cabbage with vinegar, eggs and spices.  While ancient Romans may have shredded cabbage for a salad, the term "coleslaw" is of Dutch origin, suggesting that the culinary history of this dish may have stopped in other countries along the way.  The trip included the addition of mayonnaise, a development in the 18th century, which has given us with the coleslaws of today.   For more on the history of coleslaw, as well as other salads, check out The Food Timeline.

As I have noted in prior posts.  I am not a big fan of mayonnaise and, whenever I can, I try to find substitutes.  For this coleslaw, I was able to substitute mayonnaise with a combination of honey and mustard.  I was able to find a recipe from a supermarket website that was easy to make, particularly in its call for the use of pre-shredded coleslaw.  I would rather shredded my own cabbage, carrots and other veggies.  However, I was short on time and went with the pre-packaged stuff.  In the end, this dish turned out okay.  In the future, I might tinker with the ratio of mustard to honey. 

HONEY MUSTARD COLESLAW
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
1 package shredded broccoli slaw mix
1/4 cup of stone ground mustard
1/4 cup wildflower honey
1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.  Put the onions and coleslaw mix into a large bowl, combine and set aside.

2.  Put mustard and honey in another bowl, and stir until both are mixed well.  Add the lemon juice, celery seeds, salt and pepper and mix again.

3.  Pour the mixture over the coleslaw mix. Mix well and cover.  Place the coleslaw in the refrigerator for twenty minutes.  Toss once more and serve.

ENJOY!

No comments: