Sunday, August 1, 2010

Big Bob Gibson's Memphis-Style Championship Red Sauce

For our first barbecue, I decided to smoke a lot of pork shoulder based on the recipes of Big Bob Gibson's, a well-known BBQ joint in Decatur, Alabama.  Big Bob Gibson started cooking barbecue in 1925 and four generations have continued his passion.  Knowing that I also love BBQ, my in-laws, Frank and Geri Savage, took Clare and I to Big Bob Gibson's.  After a great meal of three different types of barbecue, I purchased some of the rub used by the restaurant.  And, later, Frank and Geri bought me the Big Bob Gibson's cookbook as a gift, which fueled my desire to cook my own barbecue.

The cookbook includes a recipe for Memphis-Style Championship Red Sauce, which I knew would be the perfect accompaniment to the pork shoulder, which had been rubbed with Big Bob Gibson's rub.  Many people asked me about the sauce, and some even asked for the recipe.  I have to admit that I mostly followed the recipe, adding a little more garlic powder.  So, here is the recipe straight from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book at page 220:

MEMPHIS-STYLE CHAMPIONSHIP RED SAUCE
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup corn sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons molasses
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I used a little more)
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions: 
Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and blend well.  Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer over a medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.  Allow the sauce to cool.  It stores in a tightly sealed container for 2 weeks in a refrigerator.

ENJOY.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow that's some item list!!! I have to make it just to see how it tastes.

Anonymous said...

Just made another batch of this to jar and give to my Mum - I love it, I make it at least every couple months.