Thursday, August 19, 2010

Savage Boleks' Rascal King Imperial India Pale Ale

I am a big fan of craft beer and craft breweries, throughout the United States and around the world. You can see some of them on the right side of the blog under "Some Great Craft Brewers."  While I have no dreams of becoming a craft brewer, I did decide to start homebrewing as a hobby.

I chose to make an Imperial India Pale Ale as my first home brew, which is one of my favorite beer styles.  My beautiful wife, Clare, helped me make the beer.  Hence the "Savage Boleks."  This beer was made from a Brewer's Best kit and I followed the instructions to the letter.

The beer has a rascally history.  During the fermentation, the carboy blew its top because of the active fermentation.  Still, the beer turned out well.  It has a a deep brown color and a nice foam develops when poured.  Take a sniff of the beer and you are greeted by hops.  More hops follow when you drink the beer.  In fact, the beer has a very hoppy taste, which stays with you after each sip.  This is to be expected from an Imperial IPA, which is a beer style that uses more hops that other styles.

 

The beer is supposed to have an ABV of 9%, but I don't think I got the ABV that high.  Still, it is a very drinkable beer and a good first attempt at home brewing.  I offered the opportunity to try the beer to family and friends at our Open House/BBQ.  I guess people liked it, we went through a lot of them.

Obviously, as a homebrew, the beer is not for sale and is not available in stores.  You will just have to wait for the next party, assuming there is any left.  

ENJOY!

No comments: