Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Frattaglie del Pollo con Aceto Balsamico (Chicken Heart and Liver with Balsamic Vinegar)

While I was trying my hand at Pollo al Mattone, I faced the question of what to do with the chicken heart and liver.  Whenever you buy a whole chicken or turkey, it usually comes with the heart, liver and neck, in a bag nestled in the cavity of the bird. 

I decided to take the heart and liver and sautee it with some fennel, garlic and leeks.  The heart and liver both have a very earthy, mineral taste.  I added some ground black pepper and crushed red pepper to provide a kick.  So, to finish the dish, I added a teaspoon of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and, once plated in a little bowl, I drizzled my best Balsamic Vinegar.  The result is a little appetizer that is both earthy and sweet, with a little kick from the two peppers.  I think this is one of my best original recipes in quite some time.  A good balance of flavors.  

This recipe is an example of what someone like myself can do with a little creativity and a couple ingredients.

FRATTAGLIE DEL POLLO CON ACETO BALSAMICO
A Chef Bolek Original
Serves 1 to 2

Ingredients:
1 chicken heart, sliced into strips
1 chicken liver, sliced into strips
2 tablespoons of leeks, diced
1 tablespoon of fennel, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon of fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon of Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1/2 tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
Ground black pepper, to taste
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of butter
Basil leaves, for garnish

Directions:
1.  Saute the ingredients.  Heat the butter in a skillet on medium-high heat.  Add the leek, fennel and garlic.  Saute for about three to four minutes.  Add the crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt.  Then add the sage and saute for one minute.  Add the heart and liver and saute until cooked, about four to five minutes.  

2.  Plate the dish.  Plate the offal in a little bowl and garnish with basil leaves.

ENJOY!

No comments: