Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pan Roasted Salmon Steaks with Tomato Vinaigrette

Several weeks ago, I was looking for a new and different recipe for making salmon.  I had bought a couple of sockeye salmon steaks and wanted to make something special for my beautiful Angel.  I searched the Internet and came across a recipe by Ted Allen for Pan Roasted Salmon with a Tomato Vinaigrette on the Food & Wine website.  I decided that I would adapt this recipe and use it with the salmon steaks.

I modified this recipe in a couple of respects.  First, the recipe called for the use of center-cut salmon fillets.  I went with salmon steaks.  Second,  I used a variety of yellow and red tomatoes, to add some more color to the dish.  Finally, I decided to garnish the dish with some thin slices of Pecorino Romano.  I thought that the cheese would add another layer of flavor to the dish, although, after-the-fact, I think the cheese could be left off the dish.

Overall, this dish was okay.  Obviously, I still need to work on plating and appearance.  (I was very disappointed with the plating, so much so that this dish almost did not make the blog.)  As for taste, it was delicious.  I will definitely try to make this dish again and see if I can do a better job.


PAN-ROASTED SALMON STEAK WITH TOMATO VINAIGRETTE
Adapted from recipe by Ted Allen and available at Food & Wine
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced 
1 tablespoon of drained capers
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Salt
3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
4 salmon steaks
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
     or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 tablespoon of chopped basil

Directions:
1.  Begin the vinaigrette.  While the oven is preheating to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, toss the tomatoes with the shallots, capers, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. 

2.  Cook the salmon.  In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.  Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet, skin side up.  (If you are using salmon steaks, just add them to the skillet.) Cook over moderately high heat until well-browned on the bottom, about three minutes.  Carefully flip the fillets (or steaks).  Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the salmon is cooked through, about 7 minutes.  Transfer the fish to the plates and pour off any fat in the skillet.

3.  Finish the dish.  Place the skillet over moderate heat and add the tomato mixture along with the cumin (or crushed red pepper), canola oil and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Cook, scraping up any bits stuck to the skillet, until the tomatoes just soften, about two minutes.  Pour the sauce over the salmon, sprinkle with the parsley and basil and serve immediately.

PAIRING THIS RECIPE

Food & Wine suggests that this dish could be paired with an Argentinian rose wine.  Those may be a little difficult to find.  French rose wines are generally more available.  Winemakers in Provence and the Loire Valley produce some great rose wines.

ENJOY! 

No comments: