Saturday, February 2, 2013

Steak Frites with Bone Marrow Butter

When it comes to cooking, I am a deeply conflicted individual.  The conflict comes from a very simple question: what is your favorite ingredient?  Reflexively, I would answer "saffron."  The world's most expensive spice.  And, why not?  It lends its unique aroma, color and taste to any dish.  However, deep down, I know there is another answer to that question.  And that answer is "bone marrow."  

I have made a few dishes incorporating bone marrow. Heck, I even had my own Iron Chef challenge with the ingredient.  These dishes have provided me with some experience when it comes to roasting bones, removing the marrow and pairing it with complementary ingredients, such as garlic and flat leaf parsley.  The marrow imparts a very beefy flavor to the dishes and it is a very healthy ingredient to use in cooking.  Bone marrow is full of polyunsaturated fatty acids like Omega 3, which is the good type of fatty acids, along with iron, phosphorus and Vitamin A.

Recently, I had the urge to cook steak frites.  As I searched through steak frites recipes, I found there were two types of recipes.  First, there was the recipe that served a sauce, usually made with brandy and cream.  I have to admit that I am not one to work with brandy in my house for fear of setting the cabinets surrounding my oven on fire.  So I turned to the second type of steak frites recipes, which use a herbed butter.  I decided to incorporate the bone marrow into both the butter and the fries.  I first found a recipe for bone marrow butter.  I roasted the bone marrow in the traditional way, which provides both the bone marrow and some oil.  I decided to use that oil in place of olive oil when I baked the fries.  This would add a beefy flavor to the fries as well.   


STEAK FRITES WITH BONE MARROW BUTTER
Bone Marrow Butter Recipe adapted from Food with Legs
Serves 1-2

Ingredients (for the Steak Frites):
1 New York strip steak (about 3/4 of a pound)
1 Russet potato
Sea salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
Oil from the roasted bone marrows
1 tablespoon of diced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of diced flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Ingredients (for the Bone Marrow Butter):
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
3 bones with marrow
1 tablespoon of diced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of diced shallots
1 tablespoon of diced flat leaf parsley

Directions:
1.  Roast the bones.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Cover one end of the marrow bones with foil and stand them up foil side down.  Roast the marrow bones for forty-five minutes.  Remove the marrow and the oils into a small bowl.

2.  Bake the fries.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Toss the fries with the oil from the marrow bones, salt and pepper.  Lay the fries on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until tender and starting to get crispy.   Shake the fries a few times during baking to keep them from sticking 

3.  Cook the steak.  Preheat the olive oil in a cast iron pan on high heat.  Add the steak and sear the meat for about two to three minutes.  Flip the steak and sear that side for another two to three minutes.   Remove the pan from the heat and place in the oven to cook, for about an additional four to six minutes per side, depending upon the thickness of the steak and your desired doneness.  I usually like my steaks between medium rare and medium.

In the end, this recipe worked fairly well.  It was something different and it still needs some work, especially with respect to the fries.  It was a little difficult getting the fries to be as crisp as if they were fried.  In addition, the recipe will produce more butter than you need.  You could easily cut the recipe in half (use 1 to 2 bones, instead of 3) or you could store the butter in the refrigerator, wrapped in wax paper, for a day or two.  As with many recipes, this one continues to be a work in progress and any progress will be noted in the future. 

ENJOY! 

No comments: