Monday, April 8, 2013

Quiche Lorraine

I am not the only one who cooks in our family.  My beautiful wife, Clare, is also a great cook and a great baker.  Every once in a while, I ask my Angel to provide a guest blog post so that I can share some of the amazing and delicious things that she makes for family, friends and, of course, me.  She has already provided guest blog posts about Cuban Bread, Loyalist Bread, Salmon Burgers, Peach Cobbler and Parmesan Soufflé with White Wine Butter Sauce.   So, without further ado,

A Guest Blog Post by Clare ...

It has been a very long time since my last guest blog post.  Every Easter, Keith and I host some friends for dinner.  The meal is a potluck, with the guests bringing appetizers, salads, sides, beverages and even dessert.  We supply the main course.  In the past, Keith has prepared the main course, but, this Easter, I decided to take the lead in the kitchen.  I also decided to host a brunch, and, I knew what I wanted to make ... quiches.

I made three quiches, all of which everyone enjoyed.  However, Keith asked if I would agree to do a guest blog post about the Quiche Lorraine.  I think it is because it was the only quiche that had bacon in it.  (The other two quiches were a broccoli quiche and a spinach quiche.)  In fact, I know that is the reason.

At this point, Keith would probably give some background or history of the dish.  Something like an observation about how Quiche Lorraine dates back to the 16th Century, when it was said that Charles III, the Duke of Lorraine would eat this dish.  Keith would also probably note that, at that time, they did not call it quiche.  The name "quiche" did not appear to until the 19th century, when it was used in L'Histoire de Nancy.  He would most likely add that the word "quiche" is not even of French origin.  It is derived from the German word "küchen" or "cake."

A quiche is hardly a cake. It is more like a delicious egg pie.  And, this particular quiche is doubly delicious for Keith because of the use of bacon.  One thing that I did differently is that I did not use all of the bacon in the initial making of the quiche.  Instead, I reserved some of the bacon to sprinkle on the top before I put it into the oven to bake.  


QUICHE LORRAINE
Recipe from All Recipes
Makes 1 Quiche

Ingredients:
9 inch single crust pie
12 slices of bacon
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
4 eggs, beaten 
2 cups light cream 
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of white sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
1.  Preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

2.  Prepare the quiche. Place bacon in a large skillet, and fry over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then chop coarsely. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pastry shell.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into pastry shell.

3.  Bake the quiche. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Allow quiche to sit 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

And, as "Chef Bolek" always says ...

 ENJOY!

No comments: