Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lobstercake Sandwiches

Lobster burgers.  For foodies who live in the D.C. area, thoughts turn to the dish made "famous" by D.C. Chef Michel Richard at his restaurant Central in downtown D.C.  I can remember the first time (and, in fact, the only time) that I had the lobster burger at Central.  The burger was exquisite, big chunks of lobster meat held together by the most minimalist of binding.  I enjoyed every bite of that burger, and, I have always wanted to recreate that burger at home.

This recipe is NOT the recipe for Michel Richard's lobster burger.  First, that recipe calls for the use of fresh lobster.  Two pounds of meat from fresh lobsters costs a lot of money.  So, I substituted meat from frozen lobster claws and joints.  This probably had an impact on the preparation of the burgers.  Second, I could not get the mix to the right consistency.  The mix was too soupy, preventing the lobster from binding properly into a burger shape.  In an effort to save the dish, I decided to add bread crumbs.  The additional ingredient turned what was supposed to be a lobster burger into something more like a crabcake.  A "lobstercake," if you will.

My lobster burger - turned - lobster cake still turned out well.  Well enough, at least, for me to post the recipe.  I have to admit that I do not necessarily intend to make this dish again.  My future efforts will be aimed at recreating Michel Richard's lobster burgers.  That said, when my best efforts go awry, then I will make more lobster cakes and enjoy them immensely. 


LOBSTERCAKE SANDWICHES
A Chef Bolek Original
Serves 2-4

Ingredients:
2 pounds of lobster meat (frozen lobster meat, thawed)
     (use fresh lobster meat if you have it)
1 large tomato, cut into slices
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 pound of scallops
2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of fresh cilantro, chopped finely
Ground black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste

Directions:
1. Make the lobstercakes.  In a food processor, puree the scallops for a few seconds until smooth.  Stir in 2 tablespoons of milk.  Add the garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt.  Fold the scallop mixture into the lobster.  Add the bread crumbs and mix thoroughly.  Make two patties and put them in the refrigerator.

2.  Saute the lobstercakes.  Heat the olive oil in a pan.  Remove the patties from the refrigerator and when the oil is hot, add the patties.  Cook the patties for five minutes on each side (just long enough to cook the scallops used in the binding.

ENJOY!

No comments: