Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Basil Coconut Watermelon Salad

For my birthday, my parents gave me The Flavor Bible as a present.  The book is quite intriguing, at least for me, because it provides the best flavor pairings for a wide range of ingredients.  Recently, I found myself standing in my kitchen with a host of ingredients, some left over from a party and some left over from dishes that I have made.  I began to wonder, what goes with what?

Well, I pulled out The Flavor Bible and began to peruse its pages.  Using that book, I was able to match three ingredients together: watermelon, basil and coconut. The watermelon we had in our fridge.  The basil was provided by my mother from plants that my parents have been growing at their house, and the coconut was left over from the Soft Shell Crab Curry, Goan Style. Watermelon + basil + coconut = a very delicious salad.

This is a really easy dish to make.  Just finely dice the fresh coconut, cut the basil leaves roughly and dice the watermelon.  Add some freshly ground black pepper, and the dish is complete.   

BASIL COCONUT WATERMELON SALAD
A Chef Bolek Original
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 cups of fresh basil leaves, roughly cut
2 tablespoons of fresh coconut, diced finely
2 cups of fresh watermelon, diced
Ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.  Plate the basil in the center of the plate.  Sprinkle the coconut over the basil.

2.  Add the watermelon over the basil and coconut.  Add ground black pepper to taste.

ENJOY!

No comments: