Sunday, October 6, 2013

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer

The frogs are strong and hopping in northeastern Ohio.  They go by names like B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S.  Those names are actually acronyms for Barrel-Aged Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout and Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout.  Both of the beers are part of the lineup from Hopping Frog Brewery, which, along with Fat Heads Brewing and Great Lakes Brewing, rates as one of my favorite craft breweries in Ohio.

I have known about Hopping Frog for a long time; however, I cannot find their beers in stores around where I live.  I have always kept a lookout for their beers, but to no avail.  However, about a year ago, my beautiful Angel and I visited Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.  We stopped for lunch at a local beer store/deli in Charlottesville, Virginia.  As I roamed the aisles of beer, I came across a couple of Hopping Frog's beers ... including D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer.

The brewers describe the D.O.R.I.S. in rather bold terms: "This extreme Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout will overwhelm, satisfy, and destroy your taste buds like no other!! D.O.R.I.S. is even darker, hoppier, and stronger than our gold medal winning B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Stout.  Dry-hopped  and first wort hopped with the finest American hops for a great Imperial Stout experience! Enjoy the darkness!"  That description is very enticing!

The D.O.R.I.S. pours pitch black, blocking the passage of any light through the beer.  The darkness of the beer even carries over to the foam, which has a light milk chocolate tone.  The aromatic element includes aspects of chocolate, cocoa and even some coffee.  There is a little booziness hiding in the murky aromas, which gives hints of the 10.5% ABV to come.  As for the beer's taste, the D.O.R.I.S. can be described as drinking alcoholic a double chocolate cake ... and I mean that in a good way.  The chocolate is strong and well-defined.  Certain additional elements help to round out the taste, including some roasted malts and oatmeal, along with a little molasses and some of that alcohol. 

Overall, this is probably one of the best oatmeal stouts that I have had.  The only thing is that I cannot offer any food pairings, because this beer is best enjoyed as a digestif, long after the meal has been finished.

This beer is available in Ohio, and, elsewhere (including Charlottesville, Virginia).  I cannot remember what I paid for the beer, but I think it is between $16.99 and $19.99 a bottle. 

ENJOY!

No comments: