Friday, March 25, 2011

Spice Crusted Strip Steak with Sauteed Rainbow Chard

Every week, I have what I call "Steak Night."  That is a night during the week when my beautiful wife, who does not eat meat, is either at work or at a meeting around dinner time.  While she is gone, I pull out a nice (and sometimes big) steak, cook it, and enjoy life as a carnivore.  Recently, when Clare was meeting up with some friends, I decided that I would make a spice crusted steak and, based upon my success at sauteing Swiss chard, I would make a side of sauteed chard.

Normally, I would simply throw some different types of ground pepper together, along with some cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.  However, that usually results in a very spicy rub.  Knowing that this would end up on my blog, I decided that I would look at what other people do for rubs.  Who better to consult about a rub for beef than Bobby Flay.  I found a blog which reproduced Bobby Flay's recipe for Spice Crusted Strip Steak in Mesa Grill Cookbook.  I did not really follow it, but it provided some guidance on how I could restrain myself when it came to adding peppers to the rub.


I also decided that I would pan sear the strip steak, sealing in the juices and getting a good crust, and using the remnants in the pan to saute the Swiss Chard.  I also substituted the white wine called for in the recipe I previously used with a half cup of a pilsner beer.  As with wine, you should always use a beer you would drink.  I chose an Abita SOS Pilsner. In the end, the remnants of the rub, plus a little butter and beer, created a very tasty chard.

SPICE CRUSTED STRIP STEAK WITH SAUTEED RAINBOW CHARD
Rub Adapted from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook
Serves 2

Ingredients (for the Rub):
1 teaspoon of ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder
1 teapoon of coriander powder
1 teaspoon of dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin 

Ingredients (for the Steak and Swiss Chard):
1 strip steak, about 3/4 to 4/5 pound 
1 bunch of rainbow chard, stems diced, leaves sliced in even slices
2 cloves diced
5 tablespoons of canola oil
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of beer, preferably a pilsner
2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.   Prepare the rub.  Rub 2 tablespoons of canola oil over all sides of the strip steak.  Combine all of the powders and dried ingredients together and then rub it over all sides of the steak.

2.  Pan sear the steak.  Heat an ovenproof pan on medium high heat and add three tablespoons of canola oil.  Place the steak in the pan and begin to cook at least five minutes to each side.  (The reason it is not on high heat is that it would simply burn the rub.  Medium high heat will burn it a little, but develop a better crust.)  Remove the steak.   You can finish the steak in the oven to medium in the broiler for about 5 more minutes on both sides.  Otherwise, the steak will be medium rare or rare.

3.  Saute the shard.  Once the steak has been removed, melt the butter in the pan and add the diced stems.  Saute the stems for about six minutes.  Add the garlic and continue to saute for a couple more minutes. Add the beer and continue to saute for a couple of minutes.  Add the Swiss chard and continue to saute until it is wilted.  Add the Parmigiano Reggiano and continue to stir for a minute.  Salt and pepper to taste.

4.  Plate the dish.  Plate the Swiss chard on the middle of the plate.  Cut the strip steak and plate it over the Swiss Chard.

ENJOY!

No comments: