Friday, May 6, 2011

Lomo de Res (Cuban Style Ribeye Steak)

I am fascinated by Caribbean food, from Cuba to Trinidad and everywhere in between.  I think it is the flavors, all of the different spices used by cooks to make some amazing dishes.  In anticipation of a steak night a couple weeks back, I quickly scoured the Internet to try to find a steak or beef recipe from the Caribbean.

Nothing jumped out at me, at least initially.  I continued to search for something that would be quick, flavorful and easy to make.  Eventually I came across a recipe from Allrecipes.com for Lomo de Res or Cuban Style Ribeye Steaks.  The key to this recipe is the rub.  The original recipe called for the use of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  That was a little mild for me, so I added cumin powder and adobo powder.  Other spices, such as cayenne pepper or chile pepper could be used, but I decided not to add heat and stick to just flavor. 

The steak is marinated for a brief time in lime juice and beer.  I would strongly suggest using a pilsner beer with this recipe.  For one thing, pilsner beers are more common in Latin America.  This style of beer also works well because it will add a little of flavor without altering the flavors of the rub. 

LOMO DE RES (CUBAN STYLE RIBEYE STEAK)
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 grass-fed, ribeye steaks
1/2 onion, sliced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon of adobo powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 cup of beer
1/2 cup of lime juice

Directions:
1.  Prepare the rub.  Mix the garlic, adobo, cumin, pepper and salt together and rub the seasoning blend on the ribeye. 

2.  Marinate the ribeye.  Place the ribeye in a Ziploc bag, with the onions.  Add the lime juice and beer.  Seal the bag and refrigerate for about thirty minutes, but no longer than one hour.  

3.  Grill the ribeye.  Heat a grill on medium high heat or use the broiler in the stove.  Grill or broil the steaks to your desired degree of doneness.  (I prefer medium rare to medium.)  Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for at least five minutes before serving. 

ENJOY!

No comments: