Sunday, June 26, 2011

Roasted Turkey Thighs with Collard Greens and Potatoes

I have to say that, other than on Thanksgiving, I really do not eat a lot of turkey.  I cannot explain the lack of turkey in my diet, other than I instinctively buy chicken whenever I am thinking about cooking or grilling poultry.  This is unfortunate because I think that a turkey can be just as good, if not better, than chicken.  So, recently, when I saw that a local store was stocking turkey legs, thighs and breasts, I decided to buy a package of turkey thighs.

The next order of business was to decide upon the recipe.  I came across a recipe for Tuscan Turkey Thighs, which called for the thighs to be roasted in the oven.  I thought that this was a good way to prepare the meat.  The recipe called for the use of sage and garlic, which is a good combination of flavors.  I decided that, after applying the sage and garlic to the turkey, I would first sear the turkey thighs on the stove top and then finish it in the oven.

I decided to prepare a couple of sides.  First, I took some red skinned potatoes, quartered them and boiled them in water.  After the potatoes softened, I added them to the turkey half way though the cooking/roasting process in the oven.  I also made some collared greens, using some of the fat from the searing of the turkey thigh to saute the greens with some garlic. 



ROASTED TURKEY THIGHS WITH COLLARED GREENS 
AND POTATOES
A Chef Bolek Original
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 Turkey thigh, between 1.5 and 2 pounds
1 bunch of sage, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, diced finely
2 medium sized potatoes, quartered
1 bunch of collared greens, chiffonade
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.  Boil the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a pot and fill it with water.  Bring the water to a boil and let the potatoes boil for about ten minutes.  Remove the potatoes from the water and set aside.

2. Prepare the turkey.  Salt and pepper the turkey thigh liberally.  Cut some slits on the thigh and insert some of the garlic and sage into the slits.  Rub the remaining amount of garlic and sage over the thigh and under the skin.  Reserve 1 clove of garlic for the collard greens.

3. Sear the turkey.  Heat the olive oil in a oven-resistant pan.  When the oil is hot, place the thigh in the pan, skin side down.  Let it cook for about five minutes.  Flip the thigh and cook for an additional five minutes.

4.  Cook the turkey.  While the thigh is searing, heat the oven at 400 degrees.  After the thigh has been browned and seared, place the pan in the oven for fifteen minutes.  After fifteen minutes, add the potatoes and continue to cook for another fifteen minutes.  

5.  Cook the greens.  Remove the pan from the oven and remove the turkey and potatoes from the pan to a plate.  Discard all of the fat but about one to two tablespoons.  Put the pan on medium high heat and add the collared greens and garlic.  Cook for about five to eight minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that all of the greens are cooked.
6.  Plate the dish.  You can plate the dish by first plating the greens and then placing the turkey on top.  Place some potatoes around the turkey. 

ENJOY!

No comments: