Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ponderosa's Sweet Vinegar Slaw

As I begin the barbecue season here at the Savage Boleks, I have decided that I would experiment with different types of barbecue.  The first smoke of this season was a Mesquite Smoked Bison Brisket. As I planned this barbecue project, I realized that I have not really made any sides when I barbecue.  So, I took the experimentation a little further, and, I decided to make a side to go with the brisket. The only question was, "what side to make?"

Now, my beautiful Angel can tell you that I have been watching a lot of Barbecue Pitmasters on television.  (I think that I was trying to motivate myself to get the BBQ season moving.)  I was watching various pitmasters do their work, but one of them really impressed me.  The pitmaster is Moe Cason, of Ponderosa Barbecue.  I particularly liked his laid back approach to barbecue, as well as how he prepared the various meats that he was given for the competition.  

So, I did a little research and I came across a recipe from Moe Cason for a sweet vinegar slaw.  I decided that I would make the slaw as a side to the bison brisket.  The slaw was delicious, although, I think that the next time I make it, I will dice the cabbage, carrots and onions a little finer.  I did not cut the cabbage fine enough and I decided to use the peeler to make carrot peelings, which I diced.  My cole slaw tended to be a little on the salad side rather than the slaw side.  I think the next time I will follow the recipe a little closer than I did this time.


PONDEROSA'S SWEET VINEGAR SLAW
Recipe by Moe Cason and available at TLC Cooking
Serves several

Ingredients:
1 head of cabbage, finely chopped
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely grated or chopped
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 teaspoons of dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
1 1/4 coarse black pepper

Directions:
Mix the ingredients in the pan until the sugar has dissolved.   Add the vegetables and toss until evenly coated.  Refrigerate until cold.

ENJOY!

No comments: