Friday, April 1, 2022

Chicken Wings with Momofuku Octo Vinaigrette

If there was ever a show that I came close to binge watching, it was Ugly Delicious, a Netflix show starring Chef David Chang. I loved the show because it is one part cooking, one part history and one part honesty. I watched the first season, and, then watched it again. It made me think about what side I would take on the debate as to what is authentic pizza. It got me thinking about the history and contribution of African-Americans to American cuisine before I really took the plunge into High on the Hog, both the book and the Netflix series. It even got me questioning whether I would favor the Chinese dumpling over the Italian ravioli. 

Much of the television I watch now involves food, directly or indirectly. However, few shows actually get me thinking about it. I began to look into Chef Chang's restaurants and I wanted to try one out. However, I was unable to find one that was near me. I then started looking for cookbooks, but, honestly, I have not bought one. His most popular one, Momofuku, still sits on my wishlist. 

In 2019, I finally made it to one of Chef Chang's restaurants. It was Momofuku in Las Vegas. I was in Las Vegas for work and, once that was done, my beautiful Angel joined me for a few days. I took her to this restaurant and we had one of the best meals that we have ever had in Las Vegas. 

Ever since then, I have always wanted to make a dish based upon Chef Chang's recipes. However, as noted above, his cookbook has remained on my wishlist, rather than in the cart. Nevertheless, this year I came across a recipe for chicken wings that used Momofuku's Octo Vinaigrette. The combination of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and chiles seemed perfect for a chicken wing recipe. I printed it out and decided to make it as part of my Super Bowl spread for this year. 

The actual recipe is not from David Chang's cookbook; instead, someone else modified and simplified the recipe. I used that modified recipe, which worked well. The one change I would make relates to the cooking process. As provided in the recipe, I baked the wings. Baking wings is a healthy way to prepare chicken wings, but it does not always provide for the best preparation. In the future, I might put the wings under the broiler or on the grill. This would help to crisp the edges, which would definitely help in the presentation department. 

CHICKEN WINGS WITH MOMOFUKU OCTO VINAIGRETTE

Recipe by David Chang, Momofuku, as adapted by Steamy Kitchen

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 3 pounds of chicken wings, tips saved for another use
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped, peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chile pepper
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup light soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or grapeseed oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Prepare the chicken wings. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Place the chicken wings on the parchment paper in a single layer. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

2. Prepare the vinaigrette. While the chicken is baking, combine together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, large enough to fit all of the wings. 

3. Finish the dish. Toss the wings in the vinaigrette to coat.

ENJOY!

No comments: