Sunday, January 1, 2023

A Mindful Journey For the New Year and Beyond

As I recently announced, I am taking my food blog in a slightly different, but exciting direction. I am going to incorporate  mindfulness into the preparation, cooking and eating of everything that I make. The mindfulness that I am drawing upon comes from Buddhist principles. However, I am not a Buddhist; and, as the few who follow this blog know, I definitely don't eat like a Buddhist. 

Still, I am inspired by the words of the Dalai Lama, "do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already are.

That is my path going forward. It is a path guided by Buddhist principles, which I hope will lead me on a journey that will improve my footprint on this planet, as well as improve my own health. The journey involves the incorporation of Buddhist principles (to varying degrees) into everything that I do when it comes to cooking and eating. My destination is a better "whatever I already am."

The starting point on my path to culinary mindfulness begins with the book, Korean Temple Food. The author, Wookwan, is a Buddhist nun and the head of the Mahayeon Temple Food Cultural Center. Wookwan gives an excellent explanation of the principles of Buddhism as they relate to the preparation and eating of temple food. The term "temple food" refers to the everyday good that is prepared by Buddhist monks and nuns for their own consumption, but also for those who visit Buddhist temples. As Wookwan explains (at pg. 13), temple food is religious food, which means that "the entire process of farming, foraging, preparation, cooking, eating and even cleaning, is considered part of the Buddhist practice and meditation." 

Source: Korean Cultural Center

Wookwan further describes (at pg. 14) the three overarching principles that apply to the preparation of temple food: clarity, flexibility and compliance with the Buddha-Dharma. A brief explanation follows given these are going to be my lodestars.

First, clarity itself has multiple levels of meaning. There is the clarity in one's heart: "the one who cooks the food, and the one who consumes the food, must all have sincere and pure hearts and mind to achieve ultimate clarity in food. (Wookwan 14.)  But clarity also incorporates cleanliness, both in terms of ingredients and cooking space.

Second, flexibility "is the ability to create harmony in any given situation and setting" with ingredients and cooking processes. (Wookwan 14.) This flexibility brings balance in the dish. That balance includes its size, textures, and flavors.

Third, compliance with the Buddha-Dharma requires both the cook and the guest to understand that humans and nature are one, just as the mind and body are one. Wookwan further adds, "everything must be done in a righteous way, from obtaining the ingredients to cooking, serving and enjoying the food...." (Wookwan 14.) This requires each ingredient be handled with care and to avoid polluting or harming nature. 

Illustration by Lasha Mutual. (Source.)
Applying these principles would require a dramatic change in what I prepare and eat. Take, for example, the Buddhist principle that each ingredient be treated as a living being. When it comes to actual living beings, that means a largely vegetarian diet. Buddhists believe that every living creature - not just humans - can achieve enlightenment. Thus, meat can only be eaten when the animal is not killed for the sake of consumption. Another example involves what are known as the oh-shin-che  or the "five spicy vegetables." Buddhist cooking restricts the use of those vegetables, which are green onions, garlic, chives, leeks, and onions. The reason is that, when cooked with heat, those vegetables increase one's earthly desires, and, when eaten raw, those vegetables are said to bring anger. (Wookwan 13.) If implemented, these restrictions would result in a massive overhaul of this carnivore's love of Italian and Indian cuisine, both of which utilize a lot of oh-shin-che, as well as a fair amount of meat. 

As I have previously mentioned, dramatic changes are not long-lasting ones. So, the process of change will be gradual. This pace is important because I also want to continue my efforts to learn more about the cuisines from around the world, many of which use meat and onions in their dishes. My hope is to balance those dishes with ones through the incorporation of Buddhist principles (such as in the sourcing of ingredients to ensure that they are more environmentally friendly), as well as others derived from cuisines around the world. The dishes inspired by or incorporating these principles, or just dishes made by Buddhist monks and nuns, can be found at my ongoing project, The Mindfulness Foodways.

All of this is a work in progress. There will be times when it seems like I have gone off course, such as when I post a barbecue recipe. My focus is on the overall journey. I hope that you check back every once in a while to see where I am on that path. Until next time...

 ENJOY!

No comments: