Thursday, August 24, 2023

Watermelon Salsa

We had a lot of watermelon, which we had bought for our daughter's birthday party. I sliced the watermelon into kid-sized wedges. But, we had a lot of watermelon. And, when the party was over, we still had a lot of watermelon. 

Clare had been talking about making some watermelon salsa. I went onto the Internet and began looking at various recipes. Needless to say, there is a lot of commonality amongst those recipes. Besides the watermelon, most recipes called for red onion, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro and salt.

I wanted to do something a little different. There were a few recipes that provided some ideas. Recipes that called for additional ingredients, such as cucumber and lime zest. I even thought about adding some mango, but I decided to leave that for another day and another recipe.

In the end, I took a recipe that I found on Master Class and made a couple of changes based on other recipes. I added that cucumber (1/2 of a cucumber, diced) and lime zest (about 1 tablespoon). I also made the salt optional, because I did not think it was required. Given all of the fresh ingredients, along with watermelon's natural tendency to leech water, I thought that it was good to go without the salt (which would have only drawn out more water from the ingredients).  

The end result is a colorful, fresh salsa that is actually very good. If I had a summer menu, this salsa would be part of it, along with a good gazpacho. 

WATERMELON SALSA

Recipe adapted from Master Class

Serves several

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of seedless watermelon, diced
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest
  • 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped finely
  • Kosher salt, to taste (optional)
Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients together and mix well. Season with salt, if desired, just prior to serving. 

No comments: