Saturday, July 27, 2024

Last Call

They say one should never judge a book by its cover; and, one should never buy a bottle of wine based on the label. I am pretty sure that latter rule also applies to beer. If it does, then I broke that rule when I purchased a six pack of Forward Brewing's Last Call. I totally bought it because of the label. 

The label features artwork based on the photography of Jay Fleming.  If you live in the Chesapeake Bay region, you may have heard of his photography. Fleming stands out as one of the premier photographers, not just of the beauty of the bay's natural environment, but also of the culture of those who live there and make their living there.  Fleming has published two books, Working the Water and Island Life, both of which I have read cover to cover. He has also published a long list of articles, as well as has his photography for sale. I have long wanted to buy one of this photographs to be framed for our house, but every time I look at the website, I ultimately can't decide which one to purchase. (To get a look into my dilemma, the three pictures that I have gone back and forth are this one, this one and this one.) 

As that internal struggle continues, I was perusing the beer aisle of one of my favorite local haunts when I came across a six pack of Forward Brewing's Last Call. The Annapolis-based brewery collaborated with Jay Fleming, whose artwork - a photo of a fishing vessel named Last Call - is featured on the label. As a huge fan of Fleming's work, as well as a big fan of pale ales, I bought a six pack.

The Last Call is a traditional Pale Ale, which the brewers describe having been brewed with "flaked rye, Idaho Gem and Citra Hops." The brewers also describe the taste of the beer as "juicy and citrusy, with pineapple and subtle notes of spice." 

The beer pours a light golden color, which one could expect from a pale ale, with a slight haze. The citrus notes are on the nose, reinforcing the brewers' description. Those citrus notes come through on the palate as well. I can see the hints of pineapple, but I also think other citrus fruits, such as lemon, are present in each sip. As for the spice notes, they were not so present for me, but they could be present for someone else who tries this beer. 

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer, especially with an ABV of 6%. While I may have bought it for the label, I walked away with a six pack of a pale ale that makes me want to bypass my usual haunt and make my way to the brewery's taproom. If you happen to come across a six pack of the Last Call, pick up a six pack. There is more to this beer than just the label (which, I still love). 

PEACE.

No comments: