Friday, October 26, 2012

Quinoa Tabbouleh

For the longest time, I had never tried Tabbouleh.  I do not know why, I just never ordered it in a restaurant and never tried to make it at home.  My first experience eating Tabbouleh came relatively recently when I went with my beautiful wife, Clare, to a local Lebanese restaurant.  As with all Lebanese food, I really liked it. 

Having purchased three pregnancy cookbooks, which is where I found the quinoa risotto recipe, I immediately returned to those books.  I came across this recipe for Quinoa Tabbouleh, and, thought it was an interesting twist on a traditional recipe.  After making Mushroom Quinoa Risotto for Clare, I had a lot of quinoa leftover.  I also knew that Clare loves tabbouleh, so I thought I could not go wrong with the recipe.  I got all of the ingredients and turned my attention to making this dish.

As it turns out, this recipe makes a lot of quinoa tabbouleh and we had a lot leftover.  The use of the quinoa definitely provides a different texture and taste than using bulghur.  I would make this again, but, it will not be soon.  I think between the quinoa risotto and the quinoa tabbouleh, I have worn Clare out with respect to this ingredient.


QUINOA TABBOULLEH
Recipe adapted from What to Expect.com
Serves several

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cups lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, 
     finely chopped
2 Tablespoons finely chopped mint
3 scallions (white and light green parts), finely chopped
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup crumbled pasteurized feta cheese (optional)

Directions:
1.  Make the quinoa.  In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat.  Immediately add quinoa and a pinch of salt, bring back to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until nearly all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender but not soft.

2.  Make the salad.  In a serving bowl, combine the quinoa, parsley, mint, scallions, tomato and carrots.

3.  Finish the salad.  In a cup, combine lemon juice and oil.  Whisk until just blended.  Add salt and pepper.   Pour over quinoa, toss to coat and garnish with feta cheese. 

ENJOY!

No comments: