Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Carrot Soup with Coriander, Curry, Ginger and Chives

With the cooler days of autumn now upon us, my focus has turned to heartier fare.  Still, every once in a while, I come across a recipe that is not just hearty, but also healthy.  I came across a recipe for Carrot Soup with Coriander, Curry, Ginger and Chives in one of the pregnancy cookbooks that I recently bought.  Although I am not the biggest fan of carrots, I nevertheless decided to make the recipe because I was not cooking just for myself.  I was also cooking for my beautiful wife and our child on the way. 

This soup did a lot to improve my view of carrots.  (I have to admit that it was probably the use of the coriander, curry, and ginger that helped in this regard.)  This soup is very easy to make and it can be enjoyed both as a warm soup or a cold soup.  Moreover, this soup could also double as baby food.  The only change to the recipe is that the salt and pepper should be omitted, as well as the garnish of chives. I can't wait to start preparing baby food dinners for the little Baby Bolek!  Until that time, I will continue to focus on my presentation.  I think it still needs a little work.


CARROT SOUP WITH CORIANDER, CURRY, GINGER AND CHIVES
Recipe from The Well Rounded Pregnancy Cookbook at 48
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped

Instructions:
1.  Saute the vegetables.  Heat the olive oil  in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion, potato, garlic, ginger, coriander, and curry powder and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.  

2.  Simmer the soup.  Add the carrots and stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.

3.  Puree the soup.  Puree in a blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Swirl in the cream and garnish with the chives before serving.

ENJOY!

No comments: