Saturday, July 25, 2026

Buffalo Wings with Homemade BBQ Sauce

I have always loved buffalo wings, and, until recently, I was the only one of the Savage Boleks who enjoyed eating wings. And, for me, the hotter the wing sauce, the better. However, my daughter has started eating wings recently.  She does not like things as spicy as I do, but it is great to have someone who also likes to eat buffalo wings in the family. 

So, I thought it would be great if I prepared a wing sauce with my daughter that would be more to her liking. She is good with barbecue sauces, generally mild, and a little sweet. I went through some recipes and found a basic barbecue sauce recipe that we could make together.  As much as I wanted to try something different (I also had a guava barbecue sauce that I have been wanting to make), it seemed only appropriate to start with the standard sauce. If she liked it, then we could move on to different sauces. 

The recipe that I found had all the basic ingredients that one would expect in a barbecue sauce: ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, and lemon juice. These ingredients create a balance of flavors that clearly tends toward the sweet. The honey and sugar overpower the vinegar, Worchestershire sauce and lemon juice. The sweetness is re-balanced with the black pepper and the dash (or two) of hot sauce. It's a basic barbecue sauce that works well for kids.

As for the wings, I decide to make them in the oven. I am not one for deep frying things at home (I don't want to deal with the oil) and I was unsure that my daughter would like grilled wings. The oven could work well for wings, either baking them or, as I prefer, just sticking them under the broiler. Once they are done, just toss the wings in the sauce and you are ready to go. (Just like they do in a restaurant). 

In the end, my daughter loved the sauce and she ate all of the wings. I have to say it is not my favorite sauce, but I did get to enjoy time with my daughter and a shared meal. That is more important thany anything I could make for myself. 

BUFFALO WINGS WITH HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE

A Daddy-Daughter Collaboration 

Sauce recipe adapted from Add a Pinch

Ingredients (for the sauce):

  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco sauce)

Ingredients (for the wings):

  • 2 dozen buffalo wings
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Prepare the sauce. Whisk all of the ingredients (other than the wings) in a medium saucepan situated over medium heat. Allow to come to a bubble and then reduce theheat to low. Allow to simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. 

2. Prepare the wings. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper over the wings. Arrange the wings on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Heat the oven's broiler. Place the wings in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the wings and cook for 10 minutes more. Turn the wings again one last time, cook for 5 minutes. 

3. Finish the dish. Remove the wings from the oven and add to a large bowl. Add the barbecue sauce and toss the wings. Plate the wings and serve immediately. 

PEACE.

No comments: