Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Troegenator

The Troegs' Troegenator.  I have had this double bock -- or doppelbock -- beer in the past.  After all, I like beer. I like beer. And I like this beer. I could have sworn that I have reviewed the Troegenator in the past.  I checked the beer reviews page on my blog.  None. To be sure, there were other reviews of Troegs' beers. I have a review of the Pale Ale. I also have one for the Flying Mouflan.  But, no review for the Troegenator.  So, here it is.

The Troegenator is brewed using a combination of chocolate, Munich, and Pilsner malts, along with German northern brewer and magnum hops.  When it comes to a doppelbock, the objective is to brew a darker, stronger beer than an average, everyday bock beer. A beer style that has been described by some as "liquid bread."  Monks at the Paulaner monastery brewed this style during Lent because of its bready nature, providing calories to the brothers during their fast.  The monks added a suffix of "ator" to their beers, an abbreviation of Salvator  or Savior.

The Troegenator pours a very dark amber color, which one would expect with a doppelbock.  There was little to no foam when the beer was poured, which was a little unexpected.  However, the still liquid surface allows for elements of caramel, bread and dried stone fruit to greet the nose.

Some of those elements find their way into the taste of the Troegenator.  There is a definite caramel flavor to the beer, which is accompanied by raises, brown sugar and some molasses.  There is also a slight alcohol note, which reminds drinkers that this beer has an ABV of 8.2%.  There is just a slight hop bitterness, which is only present on the finish of the beer.  Such a secondary role for hops is to be expected with a beer that is so malt-forward.

A six pack of the Troegenator costs between $12 to $14 dollars.  It is well worth it as the days get shorter, while the air gets crisper and cooler.  Until next time ...

ENJOY!

No comments: